Nailstone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Three Roads Inn

3 posters

Go down

The Three Roads Inn Empty The Three Roads Inn

Post  Xaekin Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:12 am

The goblinoid owner of the Inn rubs his hands together in glee as he sees you enter.

"Ah! Welcome to the Three Roads Inn. Take a seat where ever you'd like. The night will begin soon, so have a drink, on the house. I'm a good businessman, and I always will be."

Our story, naturally, begins here. The owner continues talking. "Call me Adrian. I am the owner and barkeep of this establishment. You may have just been passing through. Maybe you were here to try the local ale (it's made in the basement, sealed in the best barrels I could find.). Maybe you just want to camp for a bit before entering Nailstone itself. Whatever it is, I'm curious. Why ARE you here?"

Thankfully, you can all cover his fees for staying, but he has a point. Why are you here? What are you doing, now that you're here? Most importantly, what in the nine hells is a dog doing drinking good beer?

Out of Character:
Character statuses for reference during play:

Last edited by Xaekin on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:27 pm; edited 7 times in total
Xaekin
Xaekin
Developer
Developer

https://nailstonerpg.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

The Three Roads Inn Empty Re: The Three Roads Inn

Post  God Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:28 am

Onald is sitting in the corner booth, peering into a box with a slit in it. He is shining monochromatic light out of a ball of magic in his hand, and the back of the box has a pattern of waves on it, and depictions of this with numbers and labels are flashing on his tablet.

"Ah. Good morning then. As you can clearly see, I am rather occupied with SC...science."

"Whaa-SHIIIIT! You made me send a cathode ray through instead of light! YOU N'WAH....Huh?"

The pattern remains the same on the box. He rapidly runs calculations and mutters under his breath.

OOC:

Mutterings: "Hmm, so this has the light wave that occasionally acts and has energy like discrete particles, and the quantized particle electrons are acting as a wave, and diffracting and interfering with itself. Huh. So within the orbital of an atom, what does that imply if the wave is orbiting a closed path? Then unless it were at pi*integer wavelength multiples outside, it would undergo destructive interference. Ergo electron orbitals MUST be quantized. And then if I take light to take this duality as well, energy is proportional to frequency, and energy is quantized, which solves both the UV catastrophe and predicts the photoelectric effect! This is brilliant! But then this only acts as a wave up until the point where it collides with something, and is therefore measured, and the nodes and antinodes of the wave distribution line up with the frequency distribution at that point. So then the wavefunction could be interpreted as the probability distribution of the particles. So if I just plug this experimental data in, I should get the proportionality equations, and from that I can derive the dimensional constants..."

God
User
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuke Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Royce is like...staring at the dog drinking beer. Then he turns his head towards the owner and goes "I AM HERE FOR THE GREAT AND MIGHTY GIYGTHULHU, MASTER OF THE REALM OF DARKNESS!" in a nearly demonic accent before he chugs down a whole thing of beer as fast as he can. He then engages in a conversation that is mostly about Giygthulhu and the Realm of Darkness with the owner before he asks for his room. He asks about the dog drinking beer. That dog is really freaking him out.

Nuke
User
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Xaekin Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:19 pm

Rex growls at Royce before finishing his drink.
Mekal calmly sits in the corner of the room, adding a new pneumatic screwdriver to his hammer.

Adrian wonders at the strange construct working with something on the table. It might scare away the customers, but he had paid to stay the night.

Everyone is interrupted as the door to the basement is kicked open by someone from inside. Several thuggish sorts, a mix of Orcs, Goblins, and Humans united by greed rush out from below. The one in front is nursing his foot. "I think I hit the door wrong."

One of the orcs pulls explosive powder out of his pack, the other orcs following suit. He throws it at the door, [2] missing it and hitting the wall next to it instead. It explodes on contact, [2] burning Mekal slightly, but ultimately doing no harm. The other orcs throw the powder as well. [3] one hits the edge of the door to the upstairs, setting it alight. [6] The other hits Onald in the chest, [6] throwing him out of his seat and doing 3 damage.

Adrian turns to the thugs, and tosses a bottle at the one nearest to him. [3] It bounces off of the thug's shoulder, [3] doing 1 damage.

Out of Character:

Character Statuses:
Xaekin
Xaekin
Developer
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post  God Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:58 pm

"You invalidated my trial. That was not the optimal path for you to take, assuming your utility function includes you walking back out that door."

I increase the voltage in the thugs' brains, focusing on the motor cortex, and erring on the high side. Well-Chosen Priors, Computation, Tinkering, Maxwellian Sorcery, and the Rational quality all apply to the roll.
OOC Note::

God
User
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuke Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:29 pm

This post has been subverted, due to breaking Rule 1. You were warned, Nuke. Enjoy your two turn ban.

Royce is so drunken that he thinks he could throw the dog drinking next to him at one of the orcs as a distraction. He misses the stool, and falls to the ground, taking 1 HP in damage. He then proceeds to get up, and attempts to bluff the nearest of the thugs, telling him through a drunken slur "Ahve got a shord in my pocket. A big one. Colloshal."

Original Text:

Nuke
User
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Xaekin Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:23 pm

Rex growls at the thugs, before jumping at Thug 2 to cut their throat out. [5,4] The thug clutches at his slashed throat, taking 3 damage before attempting to retaliate with a punch. [3] his punch is only enough to knock Rex away, however.
Thug 1 bumrushes Mekal. [5,4] He deals 4 damage.
Onald glares at Thug 3, and says "You invalidated my trial. That was not the optimal path for you to take, assuming your utility function includes you walking back out that door." He proceeds to attempt to fry their motor cortexes. [7] They all go into epileptic fits, taking damage as follows:[5,3,1,1,1,3], and greatly disturbing Mekal, who's currently under Thug 1. Thug 6, in particular, sets the ceiling on fire while spasming, and deals direct burn damage to the thugs near her, however, only thug 5 takes damage, losing 3 HP.
Mekal tosses the dead body off of him, and uses a hidden gadget in his hammer to put out the fire on the ceiling. [4] It works, leaving the ceiling somewhat scorched, but perfectly intact. Only the fire covering the upstairs door is left.
Adrian takes a leather jacket from one of the dead thugs and uses it to put out the fire near the door. [4] It works perfectly, the jacket smothering the flames completely.
Royce is so drunken that he thinks he could throw the dog drinking next to him at one of the orcs as a distraction. [2] He misses the stool, and falls to the ground, taking 1 HP in damage. He then proceeds to get up, and attempts to bluff the nearest of the thugs, telling him through a drunken slur "Ahve got a shord in my pocket. A big one. Colloshal." [2] He fails to convince either remaining thug, as they are having epileptic fits.
Out of Character:
Character Statuses:

Last edited by Xaekin on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Xaekin
Xaekin
Developer
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post  God Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:50 pm

I induce a high amperage current in thug 3's iron-rich liver (same apply), and keep it running for a good bit.
"Adrian, the rest you are free to take care of on your own. We should check the basement to see if any ruffians are hiding out down there."

God
User
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Xaekin Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:15 am

Out of Character:
Rex yawns, and slumps himself down on a bed upstairs.
Mekal mumbles something about being too tired to go adventuring, and falls asleep in the corner.
Onald's execution of Thug 3 [6] leaves the corpse glowing for a while.
Adrian knocks out thugs 5 and 6, leaving them slumped unconscious on the floor, and slaps thug 4 into awareness after disarming him. [4] Thug 4 begins to shout, before realizing he's in a room surrounded by people whose expressions range from pissed off to deathly calm, and one of them is in the process of brutally killing his partner. [6] He manages to keep from panicking, and an idea strikes him. As Adrian is about to start interrogating him, the thug attempts to headbutt him. [6] The hit stuns Adrian for a moment, and the Thug follows it up with a straight punch to the face. [3, 1] His punch whiffs, and he falls on the floor. Adrian recovers, and stomps on the thug's arm. [6] The thug screams in pain as his elbow inverts completely.
Onald says "Adrian, the rest, you are free to take care of this on your own. We should check the basement to see if any ruffians are hiding out down there."
Adrian nods in agreement before turning back to thug under his leg. "Now, I'm going to ask you a few questions. You pull something like that, and I will have my sadistic patron over there finish you off, instead of letting the Guard handle this. Do we have an understanding?" [6] The thug nods vigorously, and begins rattling off his history. Adrian glares at him, and the thug shuts up. "Let's start with your boss, shall we? Who hired you to torch my inn?"
The thug is scared shitless, shouting "Warlord Alenden! He's planning an invasion of the capital!"
"Another Warlord? Joyous days." Adrian mutters. "Why torch my inn?"
"I don't know, sir! He didn't tell the minions!"
"Then I'll ask him myself. Nobody damages my inn. Where is he?"
"He's in a secret base to the east! No one could find it!"
"Then lead me there."
The thug panics for a moment, whipping his head back and forth around the room, staring for a moment at Onald. [4] He manages to steady himself. "I can't, don't know the password." He looks at the dead body of thug 1, and gestures at it with his head. "He was the only one who knew it. We were supposed to leave by the front if he died."
SCENE PAUSED - ENTER ACTIONS NOW
Out of Character:
Character Statuses:
Xaekin
Xaekin
Developer
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xaekin Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:37 pm

Scene Continues
Royce mutters something against the floor about "eldrish luvin" as he cuddles up to a barstool.

Adrian glares at the thug for a moment. "If that's true, then I assume you know a different way to report the news?"
The thug lets a pathetic laugh out before answering. "It's a warlord. You expect him to not kill the messenger? He likes killing things."
"Sounds like a great boss. How would he find out, then?"
"The lack of flame on the horizon would be a tipoff, I'd imagine."
Adrian pauses for a moment, and then gives a sadistic grin. "Oh? Then he would be less than a day away from here."
The thug gulps, before nodding.
"Then I don't have any use for you, do I?" Adrian says, still with a sadistic grin.
[6] "You would do better not killing me here." the thug says.
"True. I actually wasn't planning on it. I have enough blood to wash out as it is." Adrian gestures to Thug 6. "Take your friend over there and leave."
The thug quickly scrambles to pick up his friend and runs out the door.
"Don't come back, you hear me?!" Adrian shouts after him. He turns to Onald. "I believe you wanted to examine the basement. Let's go hunting."

The Inn's basement is a dark affair, slightly cold to prevent mold. [6] On the northern side of the room, the wall is slightly out-of-place, probably because the thugs intended to leave quickly once they had started the fire. Behind it is a door with four buttons on the front, and the inscription:
The Inscription:
"There are spears in the walls." Adrian warns as he and Onald enter the room. "Amazing that they built it without my knowledge."
Out of Character:
Characters Status:
Xaekin
Xaekin
Developer
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post  God Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 pm

I take 4 of the gp I had judiciously saved by not drinking, and use some of Adrian's repair tar to stick one to each of the buttons. I then clear out the room, and from the basement steps, press the octagon, hexagon, rectangle, then triangle buttons.

God
User
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Xaekin Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Royce moves to attempt the basement stairs.

[6] Onald succeeds in pushing the buttons from across the room, opening the door. A slight grinding sound is heard as the door slides to the side, and a minion in the same uniform as the other thugs begins to walk through the door, wondering why the door opened without someone calling the password. The door slams shut behind him. [2] He panics and attempts to reopen the doors, [1] failing miserably. Spears slice his body into pieces, and tear the remains to shreds as they fall back into their holes in the walls.

"That had to hurt." Adrian remarks, before pushing the buttons in the correct order, and walking through.

[-1] Royce stumbles down the stairs, [4] nearly hitting Onald on the way down. The passage ahead looks well-formed.
Xaekin
Xaekin
Developer
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post  God Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:59 am

Keep on walking down the path, scanning thermal and checking for traps (especially looking up)

God
User
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Xaekin Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:36 pm

[2] Onald fails to notice any traps nor anything unusual hidden within the tunnels. [3] Adrian fails to notice anything in particular, but something about the tunnel seems off. He tells Onald to stop.
"We should be careful. There may be traps on the floor as well." Adrian says. [4] "There's a fire in the tunnel ahead. Let's not do something too stupid."

Out Of Character:
Character Status:
Xaekin
Xaekin
Developer
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down